now browsing by month
Having and taking care of your own garden is a rewarding hobby. That said, it’s important that you properly maintain it if you expect to reap the fruits of your labor and this means having the essential gardening tools. While it can be confusing to choose from a wide selection of gardening equipment available, here are a few tools that you should not miss:
You can never go wrong with this one. There are different kinds of shovels such as:
- Round Point: This works best when you’re digging, lifting, and throwing. The rim above the shovel blade lets you add foot pressure when digging for holes.
- Square Point: This shovel is great when you’re trying to move dug soil from one place to another. This tool has a larger variant and is aptly called a scoop.
- Sharpshooter: This small, compact shovel with a long, narrow, and curved blade is efficient in digging in hard clay soil. Furthermore, it can be sharpened unlike a traditional shovel.
- Kombi: This looks similar to a typical katana or Japanese long sword. It has jagged edges, which is great when you are digging in compacted soil or when you are trying to cut through roots.
They look similar to shovels except that they are smaller and they have a flatter blade. Like shovels, they come in various shapes:
- Garden: If you are looking into cutting, digging, edging, and lifting sods, then this is the tool for you. Their square-point shape lets them cut through soil and root, letting you clear a soil area faster.
- Drain/Trench: These tool lets you work in restrictive spaces thanks to its long and narrow head and handle. They are great for removing bothersome weeds, making them one of the best weed killers. They are also good for digging holes for transplanting flowers and vegetables.
Rakes come in many shapes and styles and have hand-like appearances, which offers hand-dexterity but to a bigger area. There are a couple of them to choose from such as:
- Leaf: They have a flexible steel or polytines that are good for cleaning yard debris from grass. You can also use them to move leaves, grass clippings, and other litter.
- Shrub: They make good options for tight and small spaces.
- Thatch: You can rely on these to scratch into turf and remove thatch.
- Garden: There are two kinds of garden rakes: Flat and bow. Flat garden rakes have a T-shaped head attached directly to the handle for added strength. A bow garden rake, on the other hand, has its head supported by two curved steels. These are efficient gardening equipment when you are removing debris or working the soil for planting.
A garden cart or wheelbarrow lets you transport gardening equipment or supplies from one area to another. It is easy to move around, letting you save time and energy. This can be anything from saplings, flowers, or vegetables. You can rely on them to help you maintain your garden, especially when you are working on a landscaping project.
This tool looks like a rake and is made to scratch the soil either before planting or to scratch the area surrounding the plants while they are growing. They come in long and short handles.
While not necessarily a tool in itself, this lets you keep your gardening equipment safe from the elements. Many of them are made of durable and waterproof plastic material. In addition, this will let you access your gardening tools conveniently, saving you the hassle of looking for misplaced items.
They come in a wide selection of styles and with varying numbers of tine sizes, depending on the material you are looking for. There are two kinds of fork available:
- Hay: This tool has round tines. They are useful for moving large amounts of large materials like compost, mulch, and hay.
- Spading: This come with flat tines contrast to a hay fork. Its design makes it an efficient tool for turning soil, lifting plants or bulbs, and segregating perennials.
These are only a couple of gardening equipment that you can use to make your gardening experience more convenient and rewarding. Knowing the options available to you will help you keep your garden looking beautiful and healthy.